Image is not available
Photo Credit: Matt Ervin
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp

Medical Examiner’s Office

Direct Line:    810-245-5711

Fax Number:  810-245-4525

Services for Medical Examiner Cases Only

The services provided are ordinarily used by county law enforcement, the prosecutor’s office and families of those individuals who die by means falling within the legal responsibilities of this office.

The Medical Examiner also uses data from deaths in Lapeer County to promote the health and well being of Lapeer County residents.

Death Certificates on jurisdiction deaths will show the manner of death (Natural, Homicide, Suicide, Accident, or Undetermined) the cause of death and whether or not a post mortem examination (autopsy) is done.

List of Permits, Fees and Services

  • Cremation Permits for Funeral Homes/Cremation Services - $25.00
  • Disinterment/Re-Interment Permits - $15.00
  • Autopsy & Toxicology Reports (Call for Medical Release Form and fee)
  • Group Presentations on issues related to the health of Lapeer County residents

Listed are definitions of how the Medical Examiner retains jurisdiction of an individual dying as a result of one of the following manners of death:

  • Homicide (other-inflicted death)
  • Suicide (self-inflicted death)
  • Accident (ex: car crash, falls, drowning)
  • Criminal abortions (including self-induced)
  • An unforeseen, unexpected and/or sudden unexplained occurrence
  • In government custody (ex: jail, prison, or while being detained or transported)
  • Residing in or being transported by any State-licensed facility
  • Under Federal penal control, such as executions
  • Child Deaths (all individuals less than 18 years old)
  • Suspicious circumstances surrounding the death

* For information on how to obtain a Death Certificate and the fee from the County Clerk’s office click on the Link below:

                        Lapeer County Clerk - Death Records

AICC – Substance Abuse Services

  • Hours:  Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Evening hours:  Are pre-arranged with assigned Therapist

Who is Eligible:

Anyone who is abusing/dependent on alcohol or other drugs may be considered for admission.  You can call 810-667-0243 for an assessment appointment.

Services Offered:

  • Court Assessments
  • Driver’s License, Education & Counseling
  • Individual Counseling
  • Group Counseling
  • Family Counseling
  • Referrals
  • Adolescent Assessment, Education and Counseling
  • Alcohol Highway Safety Education
  • Prevention
  • Marijuana Awareness Program
  • Life Skill Classes
  • Parenting Classes
  • Cognitive Restructuring Classes

Who Pays:  No one will be denied treatment due to their financial situation.  To aide our clients, we accept third party insurance which provides coverage for out-patient therapy.  For those without insurance coverage, a sliding fee scale based upon the client’s ability to pay is used.

AICC was established in 1975.  AICC is an out-patient substance abuse provider which is a division of the Lapeer County Health Department.  AICC specializes in the treatment of

individuals with substance use disorders as well as co-occurring disorders where the substance use disorder is the primary issue.

  • Licensed by the State of Michigan
  • Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
  • Blue Cross/Blue Shield Approved
  • Medicaid/Medicare Approved
  • Many other major third-party payers accepted

AICC is a Proud Member of the Region 10 PIHP and

CARF Accrediting Services

Links available:

-       CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities)

-       Region 10 - Prepaid Inpatient Health Plan – NO Address for LinK Yet

Lapeer County Senior Programs


Lapeer County Senior Programs provides a number of programs designed to help seniors remain in their home and maintain their independent lifestyle.  Eligibility for participation is age 60 or older and a resident of Lapeer County.

All programs are funded through the Lapeer County Senior Millage and State/Federal grants available through VAAA (Valley Area Agency on Aging).

Main Services Offered:

  • Care Management & Case Coordination
  • In-Home Personal Care and Light Homemaking
  • Respite
  • Home Delivered Meals
  • Congregate Meals
  • Home Chore Services
  • Senior Centers

-Lapeer Senior Center located at 287 W. Nepessing St. Lapeer (810 245-6896)

-Imlay City Senior Center located at 395 East Third Street Imlay Cit6  810 724-6030)

  • Transportation

Other Community Links Available:



211 website for services available in Lapeer County:


Michigan's Food Laws require that all food that is prepared for the publc must be licensed and follow rules to reduce foodborne illness and contamination.

Lapeer County Health Department staff license and inspect all food service in Lapeer County.



Applications and Information

Temporary Food License Application

Temporar License Checklist & Instructions

Food Safety & Licensing Guide for Temporary Events

STFU notification of Intent to Operate

Plan Review Instructions and Application

Standard Operating Procedures Worksheet

Food Service License Application

Key Changes to Food Code/Law

Michiga Department of Agriculture and Rural Development /Food Safety 



Food Safety Educational Materials:

Cooking Temperatures

How to Properly Thaw Foods

Preventing Cross Contamination



In 2010 Michigan enacted the Cottage Food Law




1800 Imlay City Road Lapeer MI 48446


 Press Release-Lapeer County Health Department Lead-Reducing Water Filters Distribution



Mission: Dedicated to Protecting and Promoting the Health of Lapeer County

Vision: To contribute to the creation of a healthy society in which the residents of Lapeer County are confident in the integrity of their food, water and general environmental conditions, free from chronic and communicable disease and maintain a proper respect for animals.







Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8 -12 and 1-5

        Tuesday, Thursday 8-12

       Call:   810-667-0392


The Environmental Health Division is charged with protecting the public from environmental contaminants in food, water, sewage and reducing soil infiltration in our local waterways. 


Request for Well and Septic Records 

Food Protection and Licensing

Soil Erosion & Sedimentation

Septic Systems

Water Supply Program

Private and Public Wells

Public Swimming Pools

Public Campgrounds

Body Art Facilities

Child and Adult Care Facilities



Building projects or earth disturbance activities that are on acre or more size OR within 500 feet of a body of water require permitting from the Lapeer County Health Department. A body of water is defined as a lake, stream or pond. 


More information and application forms:


What is Lapeer County's Soil Erosion Program


DEQ Frequently Asked Questions

Waiver Forms

Residential Permit Application

Commercial Permit Application

Lapeer County Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Ordinance


Michigan Department of Environmental Quality 




WIC provides federal grants to states for supplemental foods, health care referrals and nutrition education for
low-income pregnant, breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding postpartum women and to infants and children up
to age 5 who are found to be at nutritional risk.


Clinic Hours:


8 am-12 pm and

1 pm to 5 pm

Call (810) 667-0448

for an appointment

More information on WIC:


2019 WIC Annual Income Guidelines (pdf)

 “In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State orlocal) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:(1) Mail: U.S. Department of AgricultureOffice of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights1400 Independence Avenue, SWWashington, D.C. 20250-9410;(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or(3) Email: institution is an equal opportunity provider.”

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.”


Breastfeeding Support


A number of health organizations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Medical Association (AMA) and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommend breastfeeding as the best choice for babies.  Breastfeeding helps defend against infections, prevents allergies and protects against a number of chronic conditions.   The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies be breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months.  Beyond that, breastfeeding is encouraged until at least 12 months and longer if both the mother and the baby are willing.

WIC Is Here to Help With Breastfeeding

The use of breastfeeding peer counselors adds a critical dimension to WIC’s efforts to help women initiate and continue breastfeeding.  WIC breastfeeding peer counselors provide a valuable service to their communities, addressing the barriers to breastfeeding by offering breastfeeding education, support, and role modeling.   Peer counselors are familiar with the resources available to WIC clients, have familiarity with the questions a new breastfeeding mother may ask, and recognize when to refer mothers to other resources during critical periods when mothers may experience difficulty.  The goal of the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) is to integrate peer counseling as a WIC service in every WIC clinic.


Breastfeeding Support Group (BIBS: Breast is Best) meets the second Friday of every month from 1:00–2:00 pm and the third Tuesday of every month from 10:00-11:00 am in the lower level of the Lapeer County Health Department (1800 Imlay City Road, Lapeer).  This support group is facilitated by the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor.  BIBS offers breastfeeding education and support for mothers and their babies.  Registration is not necessary.  Please feel free to join us!  Support person and older siblings are also welcome.  For more information please call:  810-667-0448.



Maternal Infant Health Program (MIHP)



The Maternal Infant Health Program (MIHP) is Michigan’s largest home visiting program for Medicaid-eligible pregnant women and infants.  The program works to support healthy pregnancies, positive birth outcomes and healthy infants.

The Maternal Infant Health Program (MIHP) provides home visitation support and care coordination for pregnant women and infants on Medicaid.

Services are intended to supplement regular prenatal/infant care and to assist healthcare providers in managing the beneficiary’s health and wellbeing.

The purposes of the program are to:

  • Promote healthy pregnancies, positive birth outcomes and healthy infant growth and development
  • Improve the health and well-being of Medicaid eligible pregnant women and infants through a standardized, system-wide process
  • Decrease infant mortality.

Services are provided by a Registered Nurse and a Licensed Social Worker. 

You are eligible for the MIHP Program:

  1.  You are pregnant and on Medicaid or
  2. You have a baby less than 1 year old that is on Medicaid

If you are pregnant or have a baby less than 1 year old and do not have Medicaid health insurance we can help you apply for Medicaid and other services you may be eligible for.

To learn more about the MIHP Program Call 810-667-0448 and make a "Healthy Beginnings" appointment.

At a "Health Beginnings" appointment, we will sign you up for WIC, Medicaid, and the Maternal Infant Health Program.

At that time we will explain how everything works and set you up with your first home visit appointment with one of our mother-baby nurses. We will also notify your doctor that we are all working together for you to have a healthy baby and to keep your baby healthy.



Healthy Michigan, MICHild, Healthy Kids and MOMS



The Lapeer County Health Department assists individuals and families who are income eligible obtain health insurance through plans such as the Healthy Michigan Plan, MIChild, Healthy Kids, and MOMS.  Call (810) 667-0448 for more information.