Image is not available
Photo Credit: Matt Ervin
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp
Photo Credit: Rita Kelp

Reserving the Historic County Courthouse

How can I reserve the Historic Courthouse?
Michigan's oldest operating courthouse is available for weddings and other special events.  The Lapeer County Historic Courthouse has been a part of its citizen's lives since the county's earliest days.  Make it a part of your family's history by holding your wedding in it's historic chambers.

The Historic Courthouse is available both on weekdays and weekends.  It is advised that you make your reservations at least two weeks in advance.  The Historic Courthouse may not always be available without advance registration.  Weddings held on weekends or after hours must be scheduled five days in advance.

You may choose to have your ceremony on the Historic Courthouse lawn or porch steps.  There are no special requirements for using the public space outside of the building; however, it is always best to check with Building and Grounds to be sure that no other events are scheduled for the same time.

You may make a reservation for the use of the Historic Courthouse Courtroom through the Lapeer County Building and Grounds Department.  A registration form is required and the Waiver of Liability forum must also be signed.  A $200 fee is required, along with a $100 cleaning deposit, which will be refunded if no clean up costs are incurred.  By using the Courthouse for your ceremony, you are given the opportunity to contribute to the restoration of the Historic Courthouse.

The Registration Form and Waiver of Liability can be mailed along with payment to: Lapeer County Building and Grounds Department, 255 Clay Street, Lapeer, Michigan 48446.  For questions or more information, contact the Department of Building and Grounds at (810) 245-4794.

Who will perform the ceremony?
You may provide your own minister or you may ask to be married by a Magistrate or District Court Judge.  A charge of $10 is required by the 71-A District Court office.  It is suggested that you call at least one week in advance to ensure that your schedule can be accommodated.

You may contact the 71-A District Court office by clicking here, or call that office at (810) 667-0314.

How do we apply for a marriage license?
Contact the Lapeer County Clerk's Office - Marriage License Information or call that office at (810) 667-0356